Posted on August 4, 2017
Renovating your kitchen comes with a list of benefits, including a positive return on investment, reduced energy costs, and improve functions.
Once you’ve browsed our inspiration gallery and decided that it’s time to renovate your kitchen, here are some tips to help you get ready for your kitchen renovations.
Step 1: Plan Your Kitchen Renovation
The first step of your kitchen renovation process is to plan it! Here are some steps you should take while planning your renovation:
- Establish a time frame. Ask your sales representative about product lead times.
- Establish a budget. You will be pleasantly surprised by the cost of our cabinets.
- Try and stick to the “work triangle” principle (see below). In theory, the closer to an equilateral triangle, the more efficient the kitchen.
- Before designing your kitchen, make sure you know the size of your appliances and the amount of breathing/ventilation room they require.
- Cabinet heights vary (see below) to provide a variety of design and storage solutions. Always check your ceiling height.
Step 2: Design
The next step is to plan the design of your kitchen. Start off by drawing a rough layout of your kitchen. Using the image below as a guide, follow the steps below to start designing your kitchen renovations:
- Start measuring from the marked area shown on the top left-hand corner.
- Measure the total length of all walls corner to corner.
- Indicate window and door locations and sizes. Show individual corner to window/door trim dimensions.
- Indicate door swings and location of electrical plus and the center line of the sink. Include waterline, floor drain locations and confirm the room height and locations of drop ceilings and bulk heads.
- Indicate appliance locations on outline and sizes on the chart below
- Double check all dimensions including individual and total dimensions.
- Draw in cabinets and remember to allow breathing room for appliances.
- Blind corner cabinets must be pulled from the wall far enough to clear the adjacent cabinet door and hardware.
- On average, the distance should be 2-4” for a blind wall and 8-10” for a blind base.
- A filler strip has to be installed between the blind panel and adjacent cabinet.
- The filler strip must be greater than the project of the handle on the adjacent cabinet.
- Be sure to account for this in the room dimensions when designing your layout.
Step 3: Order
The last step is to order your cabinets!
- Decide on the door style you like.
- Using the information you’ve provided, your local Euro-Rite retailer can produce a series of computerized plans and drawings as well a detailed price list.
- Your order is now ready!
- Once you’ve received your cabinets, if using our ready to assemble cabinets; follow the steps outlined in our assembly instructions located in each box. Make sure you have the tools and materials required to assemble and install your kitchen. In addition, you can hire a professional installer, we can also help you with this!
- Always keep a copy of your design/plan with you while assembling and installing your cabinets. It helps if you draw the location of each cabinet on the walls/or floor
What to Keep in Mind
There are a few things to keep in mind when planning your kitchen renovations:
- Be prepared to be without a kitchen for at least 2 weeks.
Counter tops are manufactured after kitchens are installed and that can take from 3 days to 2 weeks depending on what is ordered.
- Have a temporary kitchen accessible.
You’ll need somewhere to cook and access to running water for drinking and for cleaning dishes. An option is getting a hotplate, portable gas stove or using a BBQ grill if you have one.
Euro-Rite Will Help You Throughout Your Kitchen Renovation
At Euro-rite, we strive to offer only the highest quality parts and materials to go into the construction of our products. Our precision manufacturing guarantees that all our cabinets assemble easily and stay together, lasting for the life of your home.
Whether you start planning or are dreaming, tell us your design ideas and we will send you to our nearest dealer. We have a large dealer network and we will connect you with a dealer near you or we offer free designs from our in-house professionally trained design team.